The early part of the day seemed to consist of going around town with mi madre, returning all the things she overspent on, when she got her income tax. The night previously, me and Vanessa had made plans to hang out, go to The Tunnel, to the bookstore right next door and then walk to the Billiard Room. Since I figured we'd probably grab a bite at The Tunnel, I munched on a banana and just wondered around with my mom, Jacob, grandma, and uncle.
We went to H.E.B., wandering throughout the aisles, with my family, looking for things they had listed for a stir fry. When we bought all the ingredients, we headed back to our house, so they could pack the kitchen and cook it all. I was SUPER hungry, but I kept telling myself I was going to The Tunnel with Vannessa. So they all ate, and by the time they were done it was time to take off. I was meeting Vanessa at 3:30 P.M. I gathered my purse and whatnots while my mom cleaned up and then we got in the car.
She still needed to return something at Dillard's, so she asked me if I had time, I told her it'd be 3:30 by the time I got there, so we just headed towards Boca Chica. When she pulled up to the plaza, and in front of The Tunnel, I was about to get out, when I noticed a sign on the window, reading "FOR RENT". Wow, that sucked. I only ever went there twice. I guess I got as much use as I was going to get out of it. I'm sure Starbucks killed it anyway... Well, at this, I decided to ring Vanessa on her cell, to figure out what to do now. I called and called but no on picked up. My mom asked me what I wanted to do, so I told her just to go to Dillard's and I'd have to get ahold of her or wait for her to call back. I never got through. Everyone went into Dillard's with my mom, while I sat in the car, in the parking lot. Vanessa finally rang me back, and it turned out she had gotten pulled over by a Border Patrol (again!), but that she was aware of The Tunnel no longer existing. I still wanted to go to that bookstore, but I figured we should just toss the idea of being on that side of town. I asked her if she was hungry (since I was starving), and she said sort of, but that she'd eaten a slice of pizza. I let out an "aw man" and she asked why. The idea had popped in my head to go to Cobbleheads 1/2 because I was super hungry and 1/2 because I'd never been there. I threw the idea at her and she was up for it. I told her I was at Dillard's and to meet me there.
Moments later, Vanessa met me in front, and we walked back to the car. Since my family was still hanging around (though obviously in the store) we tried to figure out where to put ourselves, without packing ourselves like mexicans. I still hadn't told my mom Vanessa was coming, so we went inside to find them and discuss the arrangement. When we found them they were already to go, so we just went back to the car (what a jip!). With Jacob on my lap, we managed to fit, so we headed over to Cobbleheads. I figured they had American food, but I thought I'd ask who had been there, just to make sure. And I was right! We got there, fumbled out and went inside.
We kind of stood in the doorway going in, because we weren't sure if we should find our own seat, or if we were supposed to wait to be seated. So after loitering around for a few minutes, we decided to just seat ourselves. Inside, there wasn't really asnywhere to sit, since it was all reserved, so we made our way to the outside patio, it was a fairly decent day, aside from being a little windy, so it worked out being a lovely spot to sit. :) We sat for a little bit, just taking in the nice little view, out towards the resaca, watched some homeless people meander outside the Holiday Inn, across the pond.
We chatted a bit, and waited for a little bit until someone waited on us. Eventually a waiter came to take our order. He brought us our menus and took our drink orders and then walked away so we could figure out what to eat. Even though I was starving I couldn't figure out what to eat. The waiter came back with our drinks and maybe one or two more times after, until I actually made up my mind. It was actually a cute menu, as far as the wording, with little play on words and puns. It might be the only menu I ever read with the words "fo shizzle" in it. Eventually I settled on some kind of chicken panini, Vanessa got a veggie panini.
Our waiter kept popping in and out, but after awhile we wondered if we were ever going to get out food. Eventually he came in and headed our way, with beers and soups. He had made a joke about us ordering alcohol while taking our drink orderes to I was like well, um, no, we don't. Hah! It turned out to be for other people, but we did get the tortilla soups that were apart of our panini meals.
It was pretty good, liked the thickness of it, but Vanessa didn't really like it. We sat around talking after we were done, when the waiter suddenly came out and told us that our paninis were taking forever because they ran out of panini bread. He asked us if we didn't mind the philly cheese steak bread instead. I didn't really care, I just wanted my grub already. So he went back to tell the cooks. When our food came back, and I actually ate it, I wondered why it took so long, bread situation aside. It was cold and it was barely anything. Oh well, at least the fries were good. I was in the mood for dessert, though. It got super duper windy, so we decided to go inside. We took a seat at a booth and asked the waiter to see the dessert tray.
They had this really yummy looking fried ice cream that looked SUPER yummy, but it was like $8. Me and Vanessa were going to share whatever dessert we got, and it was huge enough, but we were both kind of full and that was kind of expensive for ice cream. At that price I could fry it myself lol. I had never tried it, but I thought maybe I should go for something else I'd never tried, which was flan. Being mexican, in a town so close to Mexico, its a little embarassing, never having eaten flan. The waiter brought it out and we both dug in. It was a little award to me. I was expecting it to be creamier than it was, being a custard an all, but it was kind of stiff, and the "chocolate sauce" that it was in tasted really hardcore. Almost like if you were to drink almond extract straight out of the little bottle. Once you got more to the middle, it was pretty good though.
When we were done, we sat around for a REALLY long time. Our waiter was nowhere to be found, but we were both ready to get outta there! When he finally passed by, he didn't even really acknowledge us. So we took our wallets and figured out how much we each owed, since we were basically splitting it 50/50. Our waiter still ignored us. So then we started taking dollars and cents, and laying it on the table. After about 35 minutes waiting, he FINALLY noticed we were ready to leave. He left us our bill, we left the money on the table and scrammed.
My mom had called while we were still sitting on the patio, waiting for our order, asking me to call when we were done, to see if she was still in town, if we wanted a ride to the Billiard Room. So, while we were still in the parking lot, I decided to take her up on her rare offer. As it happens, she was already at home, and Jacob was sleeping, which was fine by me, because I was kind of hoping to walk a lot that day anyway. So we started walking over, down Central.
I had kind of been doing the pee-pee dance while walking, so when we got there, I asked Vanessa to get us set up, while I went to use the bathroom. I met her at a pool table, where she helped me realized I had gone to the men's bathroom instead of the girls. It was weird because I remember hating how the girl's bathroom was a tiny corner, but the guys apparently have a VERY roomy bathroom. In my defense, there was no urinal. Vanessa felt a little out of breath, which I get because walking on a full stomache can be uncomfortable. We played for an hour, for some reason, giggling like dumb asses the entire time. Maybe we were on a sugar high from the flan. Who knows? We actually got kind of out of it before our hour was up, feeling kind of bored with it. Vanessa had expressed wanting to get a raspa when coming in. She still felt like one, so we headed across the street to the raspa stand across the street.
We each ordered a raspa (Vanessa a coconut, and me a banana and cream), and sat in front of the restraunt next to Dark Side Of The Moon, which was for some reason really packed with a group of people, hanging out in the front. I noticed one of the guys as someone I used to know, this guy named Josh. I told her this story about how we used to hang out at church, him being 5 or 6 years older than me. We never had anything romantic or sexual, we were just friends. We were talking at the church once and this girls leader I had befriended years prior kept seperating us, saying we couldn't sit next to each other because of my history with older dudes (she meant Sam), which I thought was completely stupid and very insulting.
Just as I was finishing my story, we heard this weird yelling come from behind us. We looked around, not sure where it was coming from, when this hairy old man comes walking along, a large bottle of wine in his hand, yelling at someone at Joe's On The Boulevard. He walked closer to the patio outside, and he was hollaring something about the music being too loud, and how it plays until 3 in the morning, and how he can't sleep. The owner defending himself by saying a band wasn't even playing and they had been doing that for a really long time and that he'd call the cops if he didn't stop being so loud and rude. The man seemed to be okay with that, daring Joe to call the cops. He kept walking away angrily, muttering to himself, looking back to yell some more, then going back over, walking away. At one point, he kept getting closer and Vanessa was freaking out. I whispered to her that it was okay, he wasn't angry with us, to just be cool. That we should just eat our raspas and try to continue our conversation, while he was next to us (us and the people at DSOTM were obvious gawkers), and not make eye contact or talk to/at him. He stood next to us for awhile, yelling at Joe across the way, swinging his wine bottle. Eventually he walked back over to Joe's On the Boulevard, and decided to stay put. A cop car finally came and me and Vanessa just looked at each other like, "oh damn". A cop came out to talk to them both, then another car came. Vanessa made a comment how it must've been a slow night for two cars to come for one guy. Then a cop truck pulled up, and it felt a bit ridiculous at that point. He ended up getting arrested, I'm sure, for public intoxication and disturbing the peace.
We had both finished our raspas, and figured since it was now safe, that we should head over to Joe's and play pool there, since it was cheaper. We looked through the window in the back room, but the pool table was jut gone. We sat on the patio, so I could call my mom, since we couldn't think of anything else to do. I used the excuse of the crazy wino guy to convince her it was neccessary to pick us up. While we sat outside, this huge old guy came and started talking to us. We kind of hinted that we wanted to converse among each other, once the small talk died, and he said he'd leave us alone, but he didn't, and it started just being creepy. Thankfully my mom showed up before he decided to sit down.
We spent the rest of the night at my house, watching Iron Chef America and The PJs, until it was time for Vanessa to go home.
I had fun evening, going with the unexpected things that happened. :)












No comments:
Post a Comment